Metabolomics and IROA
IROA utilizes full metabolic labeling to distinguish between two cell populations but uses both 5% 13C (experimental samples) and 95% 13C (control samples) to label all biochemical compounds.  What does this mean?  How is this done?  Compounds are randomly and universally labeled to achieve this effect. The relative abundances of the isotopes of carbon are altered; i.e. enriched in one particular isotope and depleted in its other isotopic form. For example  95% U-13C6-Glucose is not 95% 13C6 and 5% 12C6. In this case, each carbon atom position (1,2,3,4,5,6) has a 95% chance of being 13C labeled and a 5% chance of being 12C. The compounds are produced especially for IROA Technologies LLC.
 
The unique mass spectral patterns of molecules that are 5% 13C and  95% 13C-labeled have the advantage over traditional methods that use no label or use heavy (99%) and light (unlabelled, natural abundance).
 
 
The IROA ClusterFinder™ software tool characterizes peaks (artifacts, control, experimental), removes artifacts, performs peak correlation analysis to associate adducts with their fragments (new for ClusterFinder2.0), calculates carbon number and molecular formula, quantitates the ratio of control to experimental, and normalizes the dataset. Access to the IROA portal for data interpretation and statistical analysis ensures you have meaning to your metabolomics data.